“The fellowship offers a broad exposure to all aspects necessary for managing chronic painful disorders.”
-Elizabeth Huntoon, M.D., Pain Medicine Fellowship program director
The Department of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation at VCU is proud to direct the institution’s first and only multidisciplinary Pain Medicine Fellowship that is fully accredited by the American Council of Graduate Medical Education.
The accreditation ensures a superior and multidisciplinary rigorous integrated training. This is a very stringent program that will blend formal didactic lectures, monthly morbidity and morbidity conferences, and monthly journal clubs. Through the rotations of the training, the fellow will acquire the critical and necessary skills for the overall comprehensive treatment of painful disorders due to spine and non-spine origins. This encompasses accurate diagnosis, pharmacologic management, advanced interventional technique and cutting-edge implant therapy.
- VCUHS Neuroscience, Orthopedics, and Wellness Center (NOW) – interventional pain management/chronic non-malignant cancer pain management – three months
- VA 1- Hunter Holmes McGuire VA Medical Center – pain/rehabilitation and psychiatry – three months
- VA 2- Hunter Holmes McGuire VA Medical Center – anesthesiology/neurology/palliative care – three months
- Sheltering Arms Physical Rehabilitation Center – physical medicine and rehabilitation – three months
How to Apply
VCU Health's Department of PM&R Pain Management Fellowship training program is currently accepting applications through ERAS for the 2020-2021 academic year. Applications will be accepted beginning December 1, 2018 through April 1, 2019. Prospective applicants must submit their applications and supporting documentation through ERAS only.
The following materials are required for your application to be deemed complete:
- My ERAS Application
- Applicant Photograph
- Medical School Transcript/Dean’s Letter
- Three Letters of Recommendation
- Personal Statement
- Current Curriculum Vitae
- USMLE (Steps 1-3) or Comlex Transcript
- ECFMG certificate (IMG applicants)
Prospective applicants required clinical education must be completed in an ACGME or RCPSC accredited residency program. Applicants that are chosen for an interview will be notified directly by our GME Coordinator.
If you have questions regarding the application process, contact Rondia Smith, firstname.lastname@example.org or (804) 828-8693.
Maimouna Bah, MD
Christopher Beal, DO
Nicolas Maxymiv, DO, MS
Ashley Rogers, MD
- Call schedule – one week per month, phone calls
- Salary – PGY 5 – $65,021
- Vacation – 15 days per year
- Moonlighting – discouraged, but allowable within departmental policy
Elizabeth Huntoon, MS, MD
Associate Professor, Department of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation
Fellowship Program Director
GME coordinator, PM&R
PM&R Pain Fellowship
1223 East Marshall Street, Fourth Floor
P.O. Box 980677
Richmond, Virginia 23298-0677